Re: Glyoxal Percentage

Sandor Mathe (sandor.mathe@prior.ca)
Mon, 10 Nov 1997 10:35:29 -0500

> From: tomf2468@pipeline.com (Tom Ferguson)

> Here is the surprise: the dilution of the Glyoxal has a very real effect on
> how my paper clears. I tried it at 50ml per liter, 35ml per liter, 25ml
> per liter (what had been suggested to me),19ml per liter, and without
> hardening.

Thanks for telling us your results.

Just a note on testing in general and test design. I think it is
better to test many things on a logarithmic scale (exposures,
concentrations, etc.) Here you made 5 tests using:
50 ml
35
25
19
0

Depending on whether you get to see the results of one test before
doing the next (convenience pushes towards setting them all up and
doing them in parallel) picking *what* to test can save or waste a lot
of time.

Given a starting point of 25 you made 2 higher and two lower, a good
plan. I would have lent towards doubling and halfing the
concentration for each test:
100 ml
50
25
12.5
6

You could probably go from high concentration to low by diluting half of
the solution each time (only with the really low concentration tests
would you need to worry about solution exhaustion and you can mix
them fresh relatively cheaply).

Of course hindsight is perfect.

Sandor Mathe -- sandor.mathe@prior.ca
(905) 670-1225 x333 -- FAX (905) 670-1344