Re: Clearing of Iron Salts in Pt/Pd paper

Tom Ferguson (tomf2468@pipeline.com)
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 09:42:31 -0800

This thread ran about a year ago, you might check the archives (the thread
may be about "safelight fogging"). At that time I ran tests on a large
variety of clearing agents. I use 50/50 metals, ammonium citrate
developer, and platinotype paper. My test was to see if an unexposed sheet
would have any visible difference between the coated and uncoated paper
after develop, rinse, clear, wash.

Phosphoric acid was not one of the better options. Kodak HCA, Bostick &
Sullivan EDTA (there are a few different forms of EDTA), and Sodium Sulfite
were the best for me. Seeing as HCA is mainly Sodium Sulfite (at a rather
high price), I settled on three bathes each 50/50 EDTA and Sodium Sulfite
(one heaping teaspoon each per liter of water). This is a little cheaper
than using strait EDTA (sorry Richard!) and is slightly better (for me,
your mileage may vary). I suspect it is a bit less dangerous than the
acids, to you and your paper.

One odd note: the rinse step between developing and clearing is a BIG deal.
I think Kerik pointed this out in the previous thread. A good 5 minute
(minimum, I now use 10 minutes) rinse with moderate agitation will do
WONDERS for your clearing!

As for your getting tone in a final EDTA bath after your phosphoric acid
baths, could this be a reaction between these chemicals?? Have you tried
simply pouring a bit of the phosphic into the EDTA and seeing if there is a
reaction (I'm just guessing here)?

I wonder if water supply doesn't affect clearing? Minerals in the water
might make for different results. Of course, a differant paper or
developer might also change results. The testing is easy, give it a try.

tomf2468@pipeline.com (Tom Ferguson)

SRH@StephenHarrison.com (Stephen R Harrison) wrote:
>I typically use 5 clearing baths of phosphoric acid 3% sol'n five
>minutes per bath for 50/50 pt/Pd prints to clear Bienfang 360, and
>platinotype paper( Not Platine !)
<SNIP>