Re: Pigments and Color Index Names

Jadlupp@aol.com
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 08:23:04 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 97-11-15 04:52:55 EST, fontpro@usa.net writes:

>Recently I've been experimenting with watercolor, acrylic and dry
>pigments, and some of these give Color Index Names describing the pigment
>used ( i.e.PR 83 = Alizarin Crimson, etc).
>
>Does anyone know of a source on the web which lists all the Index Names
>and numbers?

According to a letter from Peter Charles Fredrick on 2 Aug 1996, titled
"Pigment Types," Michael Wilcox's book has colors broken down into two
sections, the first is a description of the generic pigment and the second
information from manufacturers. It does list the breaddown of generic
listings, but not with a lot of detail. At least, not in our 1991 edition.

I would suggest reading the archives around July and August, 1996, and the
articles about Pigment Types and related threads of that period, as Judy,
Peter , Louis and others had some good discussions going.

Now, as to the color names - or the International Colour Index Names, which
is the correct title. They are assigned by the Society of Dyes and Colourists
in England, and are listed in the ASTM D01.57 standard (available for
purchase from :

ASTM Headquarters
100 Bar Harbor Drive
West Conshohoken, PA 19428-2959
(610-832-9500)

But before rushing out to buy them, be aware that there are other ASTM
standards for Artists paints and pigments a well. And that "Artists" grades
are much superior to student grades, kraft grades and children's paints.
"Artists" grades are made with longevity in mind. Read "Art Calandar"
October 1977, articles on pages 10, 11-12, and the resources list at the
bottom of page 9.

You will note from these articles that pastels and colored pencil pigments
are not covered in these fade resistant and quality standards, so be
fore-warned.

Don Upp