Re: bellows patching magic

Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 16:18:34 -0800

At 12:44 PM 11/18/97 -0800, Larry Bullis wrote:
>>>I've been using Duro Plastic Rubber for years. It is a wonderful, globby
>>>black goo that is somewhat hard to control. Seems to me I've cut it with
>>>turpentine. It works pretty well, but I'm really interested in that
>>>stuff Richard is using.

Snippidy do da....

>Here's what the tube says.
>"Duro
>Black Plastic Rubber
>Seals-Caulks-Insulates
>Never becomes dry and brittle"
>
>"Clean up excess material with naphtha or toluol".
>
>"contains: toluol and synthetic resins".
>
> Maybe you chemists can tell what it is from this. I have to pick some
>up today to use at school.
>
>Larry Bullis
>Skagit Valley College

Does it stay sticky? That's a problem I've had with the various rubber
sealing compounds I've tried for bellows patching, one there the stuff
stays sticky and the bellows won't open once folded without unplugging the
pin holes.
A few years ago when I bought a very used (and abused) Calumet C-1,
Calumet still had bellows available from stock for about $150. Came
complete with wooden frames and took only a few minutes to install.
----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.
dickburk@ix.netcom.com