Re: bellows patching magic

John Rudiak (wizard@laplaza.org)
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 21:17:32 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Larry Bullis wrote:
> > Does it stay sticky? That's a problem I've had with the various rubber
> >sealing compounds I've tried for bellows patching, one there the stuff
> >stays sticky and the bellows won't open once folded without unplugging the
> >pin holes.
>
> Well, Clyde says it does in another post, and the one time I tried to
> patch bellows it did, but I wonder if it just needs to set for quite
> awhile. Things I've made with it some time back are not sticky at all.
> They are, however, still flexible.
>
> Larry Bullis
> Skagit Valley College

I've had good results with black silicone stuff, comes in a tube, which I
get from a plumbing supply. You can trowel it on with a small spatula and
it is definitely not sticky when it dries. Works great out in the field
also, and has the advantage that it is an adherent while it is uncured, so
you can stick things together with it, like a lens onto a lensboard, when
for some stupid reason you don't have the retaining ring.

Needed to throw my two cents in on this topic as it is generating a bunch
of interest and no one has mentioned black silicone yet.

John