Re: New Canon BJC-7000 7-color photo printer

Valburg (lkv1@psu.edu)
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 12:47:26 -0500

At 08:04 AM 11/20/97 -0700, you wrote:
>>one know anything about the new Canon BJC-7000 7-color photo >printer?
I know the Epson Photo is 6 color which includes a light >cyan and magenta.
I'd like to know what the 7th color is? Would >this be good for making
digital negatives?

>This is where I am headed. I believe it is $500 and prints 1200 x 600 in
>color and prints on various papers @ 3.5 pages/min.
>The colors are normal CMY and light CMY + K (black).

This is not correct. The seventh "ink" is a fixitive or primer which is
laid down prior to each drop of colored ink, in order to control the
absorbtion/dispersion characteristics. This is intended to enable the BJC
7000 to print optimally on any paper, rather than requiring specific coated
papers to do its best work. My sense, based only on this basic
understanding of how it works and not on experience, is that it would yield
little if any advantage when printing on transparency materials (no
absorbtion to control...)

>I'm going to try the Dico-Jet inks from from Germany which they claim to
>#7 on an international 8 stepped bluewoolscale (whatever that means).
>The ink folks further imply that such longevity can only be reached with
>high grade screenprints.
>
>@ Seybold in SF I saw the printer and Canon™ is an jet bubble machine
>and the inks (when I spoke w/the German rep) are specifically designed
>for the jet bubble type machines. The Epson are piezo crystals and hence
>cannot use pigmented inks unless there is a constant and rigorous
>cleansing of the heads and, even then, they maynot work.

I find this intriguing; do I understand you to be saying that the 7000
uses pigmented color inks? If so, it is completely unique among inkjets.
Can you verify this?

Regards,
Mitch Valburg