Re: lights for alt processes

George L Smyth (GLSmyth@ari.net)
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 17:20:03 -0500

FotoDave@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-11-23 10:54:54 EST, GLSmyth@ari.net writes:
>
> << I'm using el-cheapo bottom of the line florescent lights I found in the
> local hardware store. >>
>
> George,
>
> Do I understand correctly that in the above statement you meant that you are
> using just *regular*, *ordinary*, household (or shop floor) fluorescent
> lights?

Yes, this is correct. I don't have enough money to purchase an expensive unit, so I went
to Hechinger's (a large hardware store) and purchased seven under the counter light strips
and a power strip. I screwed them to a board and it hangs about three inches above the
print.

> I have seen George's 4x5 VanDyke print and 4x5 cyanotype. If you could
> provide the exposure time for these prints, I believe the information would
> be very useful to all as a reference.

It depends upon the paper. When I first started using it I was dismayed by the long
exposure times (which wasn't really that big of a deal, as I do one print at a time
without need for hurry). Exposure times were up to about half an hour for Van Dykes when
using Strathmore Drawing Paper, single ply. I don't like this paper anyway, but had
gotten it for albumen, which takes about 45 minutes.

However, as I played with it I found that other papers, for instance, Aquarelle, made for
much shorter times. I'm guessing that exposure times for the two prints currently
circulating were in the 10 minute range (possibly as long as 15 minutes).

Certainly, had I paid more for better lights, the exposure time would not be as long.
However, as I said, I make one print at a time and am in no particular hurry. It is,
however, affordable.

george

--
 Handmade Photographic Images