Re: Brush for pt/pd

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 11:04:48 -0500

dkern@juno.com wrote:

> I'm waiting for my first platinum kit from Bostick-Sullivan. I'm
> wondering what kind of brush is best for applying the emulsion. I'm
> goingto make small prints--at least until I get the hang of things, and...

David,

I prefer a brush. A 2" may work well for 8x10, you should try a 1" or
3/4" for 4x5 and save some money. Red sable works best. Get a flat,
chisel like, brush. Some length to the bristles will be of benefit.
Stroke the back of your hand with the brush, it should be extremely soft
and flexable. A great substitute for real sable is white sabaline
(sic?) (a nylon, but very soft) which cost much less. For larger
brushes, I only use sabaline.

Jeff