RE: Rapp database

Richard Sullivan (richsul@roadrunner.com)
Fri, 05 Dec 1997 09:47:14 -0700

Philip,

At 11:04 AM 12/5/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Of course, the other advantage of HTML is that it can be dynamically
>generated so, for exaqmple, if a person were to change their record - it
>would immediately reflect the changes on the web site. I haven't heard of
>dynamically generated PDF files, but if you pull that off then you have my
>vote!

What you say is true up to a point. If you want to do anything beyond just
a plain ole flat file, HTML falls flat, even DHTML doesn't help on this
front. For instance one of the things I'm working on is readability. We
have 30 processes that can be selected with check boxes, when that goes to
the HTML from the form, you will have repeated all 30 fields, some marked,
in this case with an "ON." Not real cool. I can massage it and fix it in
any database package but they are all crude when they go out to HTML due to
the limitations of HTML.

We're going to do both, so it's really a mute point. Neither is real cool
yet, so we can have our choice.

>On a photo note, what are some of the more interesting processes that
>people have been working with? I keep seeing 'new' processes and am always
>interested to hear what's going on.

Bromoil is big big big. More fun than Monty Python or watching Bruce
Willis' hair fall out, which Gene L. would then use to make a fine bromoil
brush with. Hmm, I wonder if that would qualify as celebrity
photography?The infection is coming from the same place as Monty Python.

Then there is the chrysotype process, which I hope to ramp up after the
first of the year. Mike Ware is lurking about to help us with this project.

Cheers.

--Dick Sullivan

Bostick & Sullivan
PO Box 16639, Santa Fe