Re: Digital negatives from Epson type inkjet printers.

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 19:40:37 -0400

At 9:53 AM +0000 97/12/15, Chris P. Gibbs Photography wrote:
>Hello everybody,
>
>Just received my copy of PDN through the mail. Inside this months copy
>was a promotional package from Epson refference their six color photo
>printer. After seeing first hand the *efforts* from other (very
>expensive) printers the Epson printer really impressed me! For the
>price I'm very tempted to pick one up.
>
>Well I'm now starting to get beyond the initial *six color high* and
>begining to wonder if this printer (Epson Photo 720dpi) will print half
>as well on *clear film* and more importantly what are its monochrome
>outputs going to be like.

I think you are talking about the Epson Stylus Photo? Or is it Photo
Stylus? At any rate I did see a sample printed with it that had a
photograph cut in half, with one side in color and the other one in black
in white (on the same page). Very impressive! The monochrome looked like a
rich selenium toned black and white print. I couldn't believe that such an
inexpensive printer could be this good. Even under a magnifying glass you
could hardly see the dots.

I don't know what this printer can do on clear polyester or transparency
film. Hopefully someone on this list has tried it. I certainly would love
to see a grey scale strip on film. Anyone can send this to me?

If nothing else, it should certainly be capable of giving you an excellent
paper neg.

Luis Nadeau
NADEAUL@NBNET.NB.CA
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada