Re: Digital negatives from Alps

Richard Sullivan (richsul@roadrunner.com)
Fri, 19 Dec 1997 11:09:53 -0700

Jack,

At the time I had both my new 800 and the Alps negs made by Sil. Sil's negs
were quite a bit better than the EP 800, both on trans material. The Alps
had a visible pattern in the high midtones whereas the Epson had lots of
obtrusive banding. Now with the new driver and the super microweave setting
on the Epson, the negs from the Epson are gee whiz. We're talking 1440 x
720 resolution now! The detail in the Epson is far greater than the Alps I
saw. I think the Alps may go up to 600 x 600 max. I am using what I
believe to be some awful transparency stock, it's some 3M shit that has
like sand on the front of it. It still produces some nice negs but I think
the sand is causing some problems. My runs on film base look good. I just
haven't had time to fix,wash and dry it, so I am printing on it right out
of the box. In my opinion, the best way to go in the future would be to buy
up some old outdated film. Fix it, farmer it, wash and dry it. It ooks like
nice neg stuff, and with the notch codes and all, you can fool your friends
into thinking they're real negs!!!

--Dick

At 08:28 AM 12/19/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Dick
>In using the Alps negs from Sil, you note there were artifacts which
>implied better detail than the Epson.
>Therefore, you feel the Alps mde the better negs on trans stock … right?
>
>Jack

Bostick & Sullivan
PO Box 16639, Santa Fe
NM 87506