Re: What does a Sepia Toned print represent?

Hamish Stewart (hamish@s054.aone.net.au)
Mon, 29 Dec 1997 19:07:58 +0100

I think a good reference could perhaps be William Crawford's book "The
Keepers of Light". Its the first section you want to read that talks
about how orginal prints actually look, and how to identify what process
was used to make them.
As far as I understand, in the 1860s albumen would be the most likely
process for printmaking at this time (though salted paper is possible
also). Having looked at original albumen prints - they don't really look
that much like a sepia toned image from modern materials.
My own personal feeling is that if you want to work with wetplates, then
go the next step and work with printing processes that match wetplate
negs. But I have to say that I am baised, I don't like sepia toning much
at the best of times.
From another perspective you need to ask why is toning used in the first
place. A common reason today and historically also was for permanence.
The colour changes are just a byproduct of the need to ensure permanence.
Of course there are also toners that have no role in creating greater
permanence.

Cheers
Hamish

*
"We have no theology, we have no dogma, we just dance"

Hamish Stewart

Astrologer Taroist
Photographer Part time ritualist
And bush lover