Re: Artigue and Fresson Printing

Art Chakalis (achakali@freenet.columbus.oh.us)
Mon, 05 Jan 1998 01:07:33 -0500 (EST)

Luis,

Now that you mention it there is a Scottish saying you will enjoy: Opinion
is that exercise of the human will which helps us to make a decision
without information.

So lets deal in the realm of real information.

Testing on two separate unprocessed Fresson printing paper samples, as
manufactured by the Fresson family, is in progress. I do know that we can
expect to see electron microscopic views in hopes of identifying the layer
structure and thicknesses measurements for clues as to the coating method.
The IR spectroscopy will provide the inorganic chemical content of the
coatings. The difficult analysis will be the colloid identification. The
lab has been told to look first for either/or gum arabic and gelatin but
that there could be some other colloid present. Should the lab I have
access to be unsuccessful on the colloid identification there is a testing
lab that specializes in this type of work but it will not be free.

Having seen some of the preliminary analysis, I am certain that the
testing will provide some real information about the nature of the Fresson
process. Recognizing that it will lead to a lot of conjecture I intend to
disseminate the information only after all testing is complete. In
addition, out of respect for the source of the paper, Bill Foster be given
the information ahead of a general publication or list E-Mailing. The
samples were submitted in late summer and in view of the 100 years of
secrecy a couple of months or even another year can't be a serious issue.

I have a proposition to the other list members who are most likely in a
university environment. Once the initial analytical data is made
available I would be willing to share samples of the paper that I have for
further analytical testing. I am not interested in duplicate testing
(though I wouldn't object to a confirmatory test) but rather any added
types of tests that could draw further facts from the samples. The only
condition is that the test results be made public in a timely manner. If
you have an interest please respond to me individually (Alchemists need
not respond).

Having seen the beauty of this process, it deserves the chance to be utilized
by the photographic community at large. A broader use would only further
refine the process and allow it to evolve beyond the vision of the few people
who have maintained its secrecy.

Sincerely, Art

Art Chakalis
Columbus, Ohio, USA