Re: Coffee & Tea toning Questions

Jan van Dijk (janvdijk@bart.nl)
Wed, 07 Jan 1998 20:14:00 +0100

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Lewis Dennison <photorama@ameritech.net>
Aan: alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca
<alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca>
Datum: woensdag 7 januari 1998 15:33
Onderwerp: Coffee & Tea toning Questions

>I was going to try and tone a few prints with Coffee & Tea and was
>wondering if anybody could give me some base times to start.

Pepper, sugar, coffee, tea and cacao o.a. were used (after the invention of
the wet plate in 1851) for leaving the sensitised wet plate negative more or
less sensitive after preparation. The general idea was to keep the
collodium-emulsion moist and open for developing, fixing and washing after
exposing ("dry collodium" plates).
These processes are also known as "culinair processes".

>I will be taking Sel.toned prints that have dried. Soaking them in
>water for 5 mins then toning in Coffee & Tea.

Soak them for at least 15 mins.

>Then do I wash them again or just rinse ??

Rinse them for 15 mins. Cacao needs a washing aids (fat).

>If anyone can give me a little help I would appretiate it.
>Lewis

BTW. Those "toners" will only affect the gelatine layer and (only when using
baryta papers) the baryta layer.
So basicly only the highlights will be affected.
In my experience tea will produce a weaker effect, but more even than coffee
or cacao.

Best regards,
Jan van Dijk
janvdijk@bart.nl