Re: Photopolymers

Galina Manikova (galina@online.no)
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 00:13:07 +0100

Hellow, Mac !

You wrote:

>That sounds very interesting. How much of a relief do you get? What kind
>of exposure length does it take to expose in a pinhole camera? I'd bet it
>is long? I make hand made paper, and I think this could be a lot of fun.

Photopolymer plates are available in different thicknesses from 0.2 mm to 7
mm, there are several firms producing them mostly for commercial printing.
They are high contrast only (the one´s that are processed in water).

I have been using 0.3 mm plates directly in rather big boxes with big
holes. The subject was very high contrast (norwegian winter landscape with
snow, water, boatracks and trees). The exposure times in a sunny afternoon
varied between 5 and 30 minutes, depending mostly on the subject. These
plates give you a relief up to 0.2 mm. Thicker plates give a very bad
image without use of a raster. I was thinking, that one could possibly
build a pinhole camera with a raster plate inside, between the hole and the
plate. That could be interesting.

Regards,

Galina.