Re: Only the first sip

Joseph O'Neil (joneil@multiboard.com)
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 08:13:44 +0000

At 17:18 29/01/98 -0800, you wrote:
> According to the chemistry books (and dozens of dective stories) Hydrogen
>Cyanide can smell/taste like either bitter almonds or over-ripe peaches. I
>am _not_ about to investigate this.
> Supposedly peach pits can have enough cyanide in them to make you sick if
>you eat them. Perhaps urban legend.
>Richard Knoppow
>Los Angeles,Ca.
>dickburk@ix.netcom.com

There was a local court case here maybe 3 years ago of a woman who was
charged with attempted murder of another women, and she attempted to poison
here by serving an alcolholic cocktail with some sort of photo chemistry
mixed in it. The intended victim apparently tasted soemthing "funny", and
although this was all takign place in a public tavern, became suspicous,
saved the drink, phoned police, etc, etc.

I forget the chemical in question, or even if it was that toxic (the
"murderer" was looking for a quick, Hollywood movie style death), but it is
interesting to note that even members of the gernal public with liitle to
no knowledge of photography are aware of the dangers of photo chemistry,
albiet even in a sinister light.
joe

http://www.multiboard.com/~joneil
B&W, Large Format Images From Southern Ontario