Difficult altprocess <was Re: Artigue and Fresson Printing>

Greg Schmitz (gws1@columbia.edu)
Wed, 04 Feb 1998 01:44:11 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 1 Feb 1998, Luis Nadeau wrote:

> The process is much more difficult than carbon transfer, a process
> above the heads of probably more than 90% of the people on this
> list. Not that it has to be. Most people could learn carbon transfer
> the same way people can learn languages or play piano. The fact of the
> matter is that most people don't have the dedication that is needed to
> achieve these things. It's so much more fun to play golf:)

Luis -

Surely you jest? After watching Klaus Pollmeier and Al Strauss (both
formerly of this list) demonstrate carbon I can only say how simple
carbon really is. Jeez, Al used Knox gelatin from the grocery store
and some ink he bought a Perl paint, he heated the whole smear in an
old coffee pot. With just a little common sense just about anybody
that can follow an instruction sheet can do carbon - tissue and
all. Like many other "alternative" or "post-factory" process I have
seen the descriptions seem intimidating but the actual processes are
pretty simple (even under adverse conditions). Perhaps the devil is
in the details, but in the main the actual process is simplicity
itself.

-greg schmitz <gws1@columbia.edu>

>===for PGP Key finger Greg Schmitz <gws1@cunix.cc.columbia.edu>===
:: ::
Key fingerprint = 73 D3 91 15 96 69 74 E5 14 51 71 44 C8 ED 01 11
Key ID: A7026B1D Key Size: 1024 bits Created: 1994/11/10