Re: carbon in hot weather Was: Easy alt processes and how to

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 17:02:12 -0400

At 3:19 AM 98/02/09, TERRY KING wrote:
>Luis
>
>Is this a joke or are you not reading what I wrote ?

There might have been a joke here but it's not what I wrote. What would
"cold" mean to someone who makes carbons in 90F heat vs. what it means to
someone who lives in northern Canada?

>>>leave it on the perspex in a current of 'cold' air from a fan
>>>heater
>
>>In a hot (90F) environment, you use a fan **heater** to dry your
>sensitized
>>tissue? Elvis must be alive!
>
>The word 'cold' in my sentence does rather suggest that the hot bit of the
>heater should be turned off..

Fan HEATERS around this cold part of the world, are used to *heat*. The fan
part is grossly ineffective as a fan during the summer months. We used
regular fans during that part of the year and I always found the
oscillating type to be very effective, in combination with an air
conditioning unit to cool down the workroom. The problem is with dust...

While on the subject of fans and heaters, those considering carbon should
avoid procedures that could speed up the process excessively. For instance,
a highly concentrated sensitizer, combined with a short sensitizing bath,
or excessive ventilation, or room temperature that is too high (above 21C)
will lead to variables that are difficult to control.

This is especially critical with the 3 or 4-color version of the process.

/ )| Luis Nadeau |( \
/ / | Fredericton, NB, Canada | \ \
_( (_ |http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/nadeaul/ | _) )_
\ / \ /