Re: How about waxed? - was Varnished prints ?

Wayde Allen (allen@boulder.nist.gov)
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 16:31:40 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Dan Cardish wrote:

>> At 02:37 PM 20-03-98 -0700, Wayde wrote:
>> While we're at this, any information about the long term effect of
>> waxing?
>>
>> I recently had a print with some abrasions in the super coating.
>> Waxing with Johnson's floor wax fixed the problem, but I am wondering
>> how this print will hold up over time. I guess I'll just watch and
>> wait if nothing else.
>
> In theory, shouldn't it be possible to remove the old wax and apply a fresh
> coat every so often?

I suppose that is possible if the wax deteriorates, yellows or something,
but I was more concerned with the long term chemical effects of the wax on
the underlying image. No need to re-wax if the image has faded away.

- Wayde
(wallen@boulder.nist.gov)