Re: Albumen

Cor Breukel (cor@ruly46.medfac.leidenuniv.nl)
Wed, 01 Apr 1998 10:17:45 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, FotoDave wrote:

> In some formula, egg white is mentioned. Is it the same as albumen? Usually in
> albumen formula, the egg white is supposed to be beaten and then filtered. In
> just mentioned egg white, is the beating processed assumed?

...the great majority of protein content of egg-white is albumen..

> Where can one buy dried albumen? Just a few weeks ago I believe

...from the archives I learned that the results with dried egg albumen are
not very nice compoaired to "fresh" home-made ..
I myself use Bovine Serum Albumen, purity of 98%, works quite nice,
although I still get yellow stained highlight, presumably caused by free
sulpher which combines with the silver, and which is hard /impossible to
remove..

> If I get dried albumen, does it mean that I can skip the beating part? Or do I
> still need to mix with water and beat and filter as the formula specified?

..you can skip the beating, just mix with water and mabe filter if ther is
still some debris..

> Thanks in advanced!
>

> Dave

Cor Breukel