Re: A Question

Tom Ferguson (tomf2468@pipeline.com)
Tue, 12 May 1998 17:04:07 -0800

>Subject: Re: a question
>> I find all sorts of things
>>floating in the sink after the students are gone...but what interests me
>>are the prints which have been developed, but not fixed. Sometimes they
>>are still in the developer tray, sometimes they have been tossed into
>>the sink. But they have a metallic surface quality of silvery
>>iridescence. This may be evenly distributed across the print, or may be
>>centered in specks or blobs on an otherwise dull surface.

I wonder if you are discribing what is commonly called "solorization".
That is, if you develop a print, then expose it to light, then continue
developing it. You get a reversal of selected tones and a more gray
(silver) look. Man Ray was considered the first "master" of this process.
Full details can be found in most darkroom books.

tomf2468@pipeline.com (Tom Ferguson)