Re: Enlarged negatives

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Wed, 13 May 1998 18:39:34 -0400

Lukas Werth wrote:

> I intend to learn to print (first, at least) Platinum/Palladium prints.
> I take photographs with a 4x5" camera, and being unwilling as well as
> lacking the ressources to buy a larger camera, I want, after first
> contacting some of my 4x5s for learning, to print at least 8x10s.
> I think I shall try to print the Interpositives on...

Lukas,

Here are some tips:

Learn to master Pt/Pd printing in 4x5 before attempting large negatives. It is
critical to have a great negative produced for the Pt/Pd process. Also, you
WILL spend more money on materials trying to learn negative building and the
Pt/Pd process than you would to purchase an 8x10 camera.

Learn the Pt/Pd process from someone who does Pt/Pd prints you admire. Do the
same for negative building.

Do not select just any materials. Find out from someone (whose work you
admire) what materials they use to achieve those prints you admire.

When you study from someone (whose work you admire), do exactly as they tell
you. And, do not even think of questioning what they do until you have
mastered it.

I hope you believe me when I say these suggestions will get you the best
results in the shortest time. Have fun.

Jeffrey D. Mathias