Re: paper negs/paper possies

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Thu, 04 Jun 1998 14:34:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Carl Weese wrote:
> > Freestyle 8x10 lith film (Arista Premium APH) is $32.95 for 100 sheets,
> > or 33 cents a sheet in their spring catalog.
> >

> Well, that sure qualifies it as a "best buy" as long as it works
> well.---Carl

That's the cheaper of the Freestyle lith films. In my tests it was better
for OUR PURPOSES -- that is, to make a continuous tone negatives -- than
either the Freestyle APHS (halftone supreme) which is $10 more per 100, or
Kodalith. The Kodalith, however, would be much better for the original
purpose of lith film, that dot with straight sides as shown in the Kodak
literature.

The APH film also has less D-Max than the Kodalith -- but less D-max is
just what we want more of with lith for continuous tone. Also, in my
experience, the older the better -- the *staler* this lith film gets, the
easier it is to keep density off the ceiling. I've used boxes on my shelf
for 5 years that were fine.

>From time to time, there have been glitches in the manufacture -- as may
be no news, FACTORIES come and FACTORIES go, these days, mostly go of
course, but in my experience the few times there have been problems,
Freestyle has made good on it.

Judy