Re: conflict resolution

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 18:36 +0000

> I think it is necessary for the alt-photo-process-l community discuss
> and
> resolve conflicts. I can not and will not be responsible for policing
> and
> discipling the list. It needs to be done on a "community" basis.

The problem that we have seems to me that you have taken on this
responsibility in a particular instance.

> 1) It creates a list of email address, anyone can add their email
> address
> to this list.
>
> 2)It sends email messages to everyone who has added their email address
> the list.

I'm unconvinced that setting up this kind of thing is a good idea.
(Typical English understatement meaning I think it suicidal :-))

I've various times stated the opinion that the main problems with this
list have been the amount of private email that some people have indulged
in to stir up trouble related to the list. I see no reason to change this
opinion - various recent events seem to have provided more evidence in
favour of this view.

I can't see how encouraging this will help.

I think the only way forward is to explore how (and where?) a properly
moderated list can be set up. Probably with a small group of people to
share the work of moderating. This is the only way I can see either those
who used to contribute but have left to return and those who are still on
the list but not posting to feel it is safe to take a more active part.

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows and elsewhere:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s
Family Pictures, German Indications, London demonstrations &
The Buildings of London etc: http://www.spelthorne.ac.uk/pm/