Re: Gum over Wood

Klaus Pollmeier (pollmei@ab.fh-anhalt.de)
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 11:41:21 +0200

katharine thayer schrieb:

> You're exactly right about acrylic medium; I had forgotten that I'd
> tried it once. I think I was trying to gum print on bisque tile. Do you
> think gelatin would work for that?

Didn't find "bisque" in my dictionary... but do tiles have enough
"tooth" to print on with gum? A thin gelatin size should work, but the
tile must be very clean and the gelatin hardened. I fear that there
might still be an adhesion problem if the sizing is too thick. The
precoating collotype printers use might be the best. I just found old
formulas (1906) but probably don't have the correct English names for
the chemicals at hand. (maybe somebody else can translate that?):

weak beer (Pils) 100 ml
Wasserglas (water glass?) 10 ml

Let the beer stand for 1-2 hours, then mix with Wasserglas and add max.
1 g Aetznatron (caustic soda?)

dest. water 8 ml
beaten egg white 7 ml
Natronwasserglas (sodium water glass?) 3 ml

These precoatings can be used alternatively and can applied with the
fingers or with a sponge on a levelled glass plate, the manual says.
They must be thoroughly dried with warm air, then washed for 2-3 minutes
with cold water. Then a gelatin coating (1-2% for gum?) can be applied,
hardened and then the gum.
Sounds terribly complicated to me and I would certainly first try just a
simple, thin coating of hardened gelatin.
Klaus