Re: Monochrome reproduction Was: Re: Color, CMYK, etc.

Walt Goettman (wgoettman@mm.wyeth.com)
Fri, 08 Jan 1999 14:05:06 +0000

> OK, I'm going to stick my neck out which may draw some better information
> from the woodwork. From what I understand about the kind of printing done
> for a mass magazine like Time or Newsweek (granted, my understanding of
> the process on a sliding scale of 1 to 100 would be about 12) is that it
> would be very unlikely to do a duotone as part of its press run, which
> would mean stopping the presses & changing ink... and as there are usually
> about 6 or 8 pages to a plate, at least in the type of printing I'm
> familiar with, that would further complicate matters.

I've always thought that some periodicals designate some pages for an
extra run through the press for a premium fee. I haven't looked at
Time for years but I never recall a duotone in that mag. But I will
submit that a cmyk can't approach the richness of a duotone as a
duotone can combine richer inks. Remember a duotone will have a
rosette pattern too as the screen of the second plate has to be angled
to prevent moiree just as in four color. If you loupe it you will see
the magenta and cyan readily if it is four color. I would think you
would only find duotone available in magazines printed on better paper
than a Time.
That being said, I just stopped and looked at one of those Corporate
Showcase books which are excellently printed on good stock and the
black and white images printed in four color process look awfully
good. I think I'll re-evaluate.

Walt