Re: printing color separations (was CMY/K)

Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Fri, 08 Jan 1999 12:10:06 +0000

Katharine Thayer wrote:

My initial question was:
> Knowing that non-postscript printers don't read the photoshop settings,
> I'm curious what happens to the CMYK space as set up in Photoshop when
> it encounters a non-postscript printer? Do the printer settings totally
> override the Photoshop settings to set up a new CMYK color space? Or
> what? Since no one answered my question, I did some experiments and
> reported them here in a previous generation of this thread. One of my
> findings was that when I changed settings in Photoshop, the changes were
> reflected in the separations printed on my inkjet. So no, it's not true,
> at least by my own empirical results, that the inkjet printer ignores
> the photoshop settings.

I'm obviously not going to be printing CMYK separations from an inkjet
printer, or any printer, but if I were going to do that, I would want to
know just what the inkjet driver does with the CMYK file you send to it,
which my experiments didn't begin to determine; all they showed me is
that the inkjet driver doesn't completely override the photoshop
settings. A good place to start to find this out this is the excellent
list epson-inkjet, at http://www.leben.com. On that list yesterday I saw
two mentions to the effect that if you send a CMYK file to the epson
driver, it changes the file back to RGB and then to its own CMYK space.
That would make me very nervous, if I were getting my separations that
way. When you print in color on an inkjet, you send the file to the
printer in RGB and let the driver change it to CMYK, rather than
converting it before sending it, or you get really weird colors, for the
same reason. I'm not trying to make you all miserable, really, I just
thought this was important stuff to know.

As Peter said yesterday, we're all feeling our way here, and the more
information the better.
Katharine Thayer