Re: Monochrome reproduction Was: Re: Color, CMYK, etc.

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 08 Jan 1999 22:10:35 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Carl Weese wrote:

> Judy,
>
> What you are likely seeing is the CMYK inks used to imitate a duotone.
> That is they are not used to make a normal photorealistic reproduction
> of the black and white original, but the CMY plates are used together to

Yes, Carl, I understand that. I haven't seen *anything* in a mass magazine
I took for a duotone. I have seen, as noted, monochrome SIMULATED by means
of 4 color, which I identified as such by loupe. My point was that I have
found the 4-color the most beautiful form of "monochrome" reproduction,
although that's a very casual opinion, by no means the result of serious
study, and completely ignorant of the arcane *best* monochrome processes
Luis mentions, which peasants like myself have never heard of. What I
said in response to (I think John's question) was that I doubted a mass
magazine would be doing actual duotone. If they are, I never noticed it.

Judy