Re: Prints on fabric & folding screens

Karen Molloy (kmolloy@tiac.net)
Fri, 08 Jan 1999 22:05:18 -0400

Galina Manikova wrote:

> Here is the dog buried.
>
> Once there was an art critic who has written a long article about one
< of my
> exhibitions, trying to understand, whether what I do is art or craft,
> utilitarian object or not. Not enough that I am using photographic
> images, I
> am also a potter by education. How can I dare to call it art ?
>
> I found that totally uninteresting and irrelevant. A picture on the wall
> may
> be an utilitarian object just as a pot in the kitchen. And pottery can
> be pure art. In some way utilitarian objects are looked down at, art is
> still considered to be a higher level.

I also tend to find art vs. craft discussions uninteresting and irrelevant.
But the bias does exist. I make my cyanotype collages on both paper and
fabric. It is far easier for me to get my work on paper exhibited that my work
on fabric. It's silly of course -- because of fabric's link to "craft-ness" I
guess and cultural perception that it is somehow a lesser art surface than
paper.

Collectors who have bought my cyanotype (on fabric) folding screens have not
used them for room dividers so far, but for sculpture. I got into making
folding screens as result of making artists books (I wanted to explore
sequencing on a larger scale, though the screens have taken a turn of their
own :)

Karen Molloy
kmolloy@tiac.net