Re: Re: Printing color separations Re: printing color separations (wasCMY/K) Re: printing color separations (was CMY/K) Re: printing colorseparations (was CMY/K)

DanPhoto@aol.com
Fri, 08 Jan 1999 22:00:50 -0500 (EST)

>Michael Keller wrote:
>>
>> I've stayed out of this til now cause I felt I didn't know anything about
it,
>> but I have to question the comment below. If you use Photoshop to create
>> separations to print out on your inkjet, wouldn't Photoshop be generating
>four
>> BLACK images, which the printer would see as black images, not CMYK or RGB?
>> IOW, your printer doesn't know they're CMYK or RGB, it just sees four pages
>of
>> black printing. Or is my head up my...er, nevermind.<g>

Michael,

It's easy to get confused in this area. Printing "separation negatives"
from a desktop inkjet printer is much like printing them on an
imagesetter: the printer will produce four (or three, etc) monotone
negatives, each of which represents the densities for a specific color
channel, like cyan, magenta, etc. These monchrome negatives are then used
to "burn" printing plates that hold ink for offset printing, or to expose
a color layer as in gum printing.

Another source of confusion with inkjet printers is the ability to print
these separation negatives with just black ink, or with all four (or six)
ink cartridges. Using all the inks is usually much better since, though
the negative will still look "neutral," the extra ink dots will make for
finer detail and image smoothness.

The other issue as to how non-Postscript printers interpret the CMYK
information as it leaves Photoshop is interesting, and obviously hotly
debated. I dare not comment myself! Ha!

Dan