Re: platinum on glass

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 11:34:20 -0700

I have done some brief experiments. I used a gelatin base on the glass. The
traditional developing out process was disasterous. The Ziatype looked like
it would work if I had persued it further. The DO process gave lots of
severe mottling which I think was due to the emulsion being down in the
gelatin and the developer could not reach it evenly. The Ziatype, since it
is POP, develops as it is exposed and therefore is more even in its
development since it does not depend on the developer reaching the emulsion
evenly.

My problem was that the gelatin coat was not even, was streaked and had
bubbles in it, all solvable problems with a little engineering and care.

The image was very weak when viewed by transmitted light but backed with a
piece of white paper was nice. To get a stronger image from transmitted
light you might need to multi print or possible make double strength
solutions of the Ammonium ferric oxalate and the Lithium Palladium
solutions, both of which I believe can be doubled.

First coat the glass with a hard gelatin, deionized ossein works well.
You'll need to clean the glass real well of any grease, etc. I'd level the
glass with three pieces of modeling clay. I'd then pour the gelatin on and
smooth it with a glass rod and then let it set.

Then proceed as if it were a regular Ziatype.

--Dick Sullivan

At 09:50 AM 1/11/99 -0800, kl wrote:
>I am interested in making some platinum prints on glass. Does anyone
>have any ideas on how to get the emulsion to stick to the glass?
>
>William Linne

505-474-0890 FAX 505-474-2857
<http://www.bostick-sullivan.com>http://www.bostick-sullivan.com
http://www.workingpictures.com