Re: gum&longivety

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 03:48:41 -0500 (EST)

Sandy, I think the difference is that you replenish as you go along, so
strength stays constant -- also surely that you keep the dichromate in the
refrigerator. I do neither.

But many times when I've mixed up a new batch I've tested it against the
end of the old batch. That is, I printed 2 step tablets, one made with the
new, one with the old. The new was always faster than the old (usually
about a year old). I've got them on file somewhere -- the 20% is an
estimate & from memory, but it was noticeable, that's for sure. Maybe it
hasn't been in print, so maybe that makes up for all the garbage that IS
in print !!??

Another reason you may not have noticed, could be because, ca 20% loss of
the low concentrations you use is very little. I'm mixing emulsions that
are around 50% sensitizer, using the 26% solution, so it's more
noticeable.

I do, of course, mix the sensitizer with distilled. It's used from the
bottle (kept in an 8-oz dropper bottle), and there is no sludge on the
bottom. I note that I mix 26 % rather than the 30% that's possible,
because this way there is no precipitate, even if the room gets quite
cold.

Judy