Re: Photogravure Screen

Adam Kimball (akimball@finebrand.com)
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 12:43:03 -0800

Walt & all,

This isn't my forte, but I'll share the little I know. The real expert
around here, as far as I know, is David Morrish... I suspect he'll comment
soon, he is always unbelievably helpful when I write him.

Anyway, David mentioned to me on a number of occassions that Deli mostly
uses hand-made screens. He makes these by contact printing frosted mylar
to lith film, and then contacting the positive to a negative. I tried it
once to no avail. But my experience with lith film is quite thin - and my
problem was developing them evenly, etc. The key here is using frosted
mylar that has a slightly rough surface - chemically frosted mylar doesn't
work - so I am told. I'll forward you, offline, some of the emails we've
exchanged on the subject.

Another gravurist here in Berkeley is using a screen he bought at a very
reasonable cost locally. I believe it is 150lpi stochastic. It seems to
give good results, but I personally find the screen look unsatisfying. I
find that internal contrast looks weaker (in the screen prints that I've
seen) and the blacks are no match for asphault. However, it would be much
easier to work with. As for a 600 lpi screen, I suspect that number.
I've heard from a gravurist in Napa that Deli has made a couple of good
prints on 600dpi screens (just random noise printed out), but that all
things considered this screen was more trouble than it was worth. I
recall hearing that plates made with such a screen had about 15 minutes of
etching before undercutting became a serious issue.

I am using rosin now, and I hate it. Mostly because the aquatint box I
use sucks, but also because I can't seem to get a really fine dust that
isn't undercut quickly. But, Jon Goodman uses rosin, and his prints are
quite nice. I am moving to asphault next week (I was just given a good
box) and can't wait. Asphault has many of its own problems, but who can
argue with the quality?. And, as I see it, if you are doing photogravure
and quality isn't paramount - photogravure makes no sense.

Enjoying a potential photogravure discussion-
Adam