Gum questions.

Adam Kimball (akimball@finebrand.com)
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 12:53:33 -0800

OK, I bother Judy enough with my gum questions, so I thought I'd unleash a
few on the lurking masses. I know most of this stuff doesn't have easy
answers, but still.. the questions are killing me. I'll go easy and ask
only a few of the many questions I have right now.

First, can somebody recommend a paper that allows fine detail to be
retained? I am using BFK sized and hardened according to the Post Factory
article. I'm working on some seascapes and I can't hold the fine detail
in the water - which is really the point of the images. I've heard, many
times, that gum can do detail like platinum - now I ask, how? Multiple
coats are the target.

Second, I've been printing wedges like crazy and have a question. I'll
take one that is sitting right here for example. Printed in Winsor
Blue-Green .5g to 30 drops of gum to 30 of dichromate and exposed for 4
minutes in my light source. Step ten is the beginning of the highlights,
and I have decent seperation up to step 5, but steps 5-2 show very little
seperation, with step 1 going quite a bit darker. Does this mean that I
should consider step 5 to be the end of the wedge? What about the great
'black' at step 1 - is this just tantalizing me with the impossible? In
general, I see this often - 4 steps or so of color, and another 4 with
weak seperation and the last one or two with more seperation - what gives?

Finally, I never heard much about what printer to buy for making negatives
suitable for gum - Judy, what are you using now, and do you like it? The
Photo Dan and Dave's you two are the experts - any real info on the
situation?

Thanks-
Adam