Cachet gelatin emulsion

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 22:19:20 -0500 (EST)

I have a student doing a project in Cachet, which is a silver gelatin
emulsion made in Germany. He chose it because, unlike the Silverprint
emulsion and Liquid Light, it responds to variable contrast filters. But
he doesn't (yet) have Martin Reed's book (although he's trying to find
it), doesn't know anyone using the process... & is having start-up
troubles. I've directed him to a friend I think can help some, but she
doesn't work on paper, which is where he's beginning. So I said I'd see if
I could get some help from the list:

Is there any particular paper it would be a good idea to start with? At
the moment he's chosen Arches Aquarelle. The information that came with
the material says you can size, but they want to sell you a prepared size.
It's probably not necessary though, except to save emulsion. Any advice
about the paper and/or the size?

The other question is about how to apply. He'd begun with a foam brush,
but it made bubbles. Then he switched to a paintbrush, which he said was
much better, though the brush was small so the coat was uneven. I advised
getting a hake brush -- and by this point was past my own "expertise."

If anyone can shed further light on the topic(s), it would be much
appreciated.

TIA, Judy & Jesse...