Re: pinhole question

George L Smyth (GLSmyth@ari.net)
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 22:30:14 -0500

Joao Ribeiro wrote:

> Hi,
> This is probably a stupid question but...
> I would like to try pinhole photo but w. f stops of 400 to 500, how do I
> frame the picture?
> Thanks for any suggestion
> Joao

I'm not entirely certain what the question is. If you are looking to use a
camera that allows for multiple f stops you can use your large formation
camera. You'll just need pinholes of differing sizes that can be swapped out,
just as you would do with your normal lenses. A listing of pinhole focal
lengths/apertures can be found on my Web page.

If your question is how one might be able to visualize the image that will be
formed, you can draw a "V" on the top of your camera, with the point of the "V"
over the pinhole and the top of the "V" stretching to the ends of film. Then by
looking down each line you will see what will be within the frame.

If you'd like to learn more about pinhole photography, I can offer the Pinhole
FAQ, as well as a number of articles and images, as a starting point.

Cheers -

george

--

Handmade Photographic Images http://www2.ari.net/glsmyth/