Re: Gum questions.

Garet Denise (garet@rmi.net)
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 00:33:15 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Kimball <akimball@finebrand.com>

>snip>

>Step ten is the beginning of the highlights,
>and I have decent seperation up to step 5, but steps 5-2 show very
little
>seperation, with step 1 going quite a bit darker. Does this mean
that I
>should consider step 5 to be the end of the wedge? What about the
great
>'black' at step 1 - is this just tantalizing me with the impossible?
In
>general, I see this often - 4 steps or so of color, and another 4
with
>weak seperation and the last one or two with more seperation - what
gives?

I have found the same results with the shadows in gum prints, that the
"toe" of the curve flattens out well before the lower end of the
response curve. I plain English: it doesn't have as good of
seperations in the shadows as in the highlights. I hope to compensate
for this by creating digital negatives and coming up with an
appropriate calibration curve, but I've spent the last 5 months
building a new darkroom. Remodel projects are a lot like testing new
photo processes, they never seem to end.....

>Finally, I never heard much about what printer to buy for making
negatives
>suitable for gum - Judy, what are you using now, and do you like it?
The
>Photo Dan and Dave's you two are the experts - any real info on the
>situation?

Seems like lots of people talk about generating negatives digially,
but either few are actually doing it, or else the ones that are are
not willing to share details about how they go about it. I, too, will
soon be in the market for a printer and would appreciate any comments
(good, bad or otherwise).

Garet Denise
garet@rmi.net