Re: carbon process

Adam Kimball (akimball@finebrand.com)
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 13:14:31 -0800

Nze,

I assume, though I may be wrong, you are referring to the Autotype G-35
tissue (marketed by Bergger?) How many carbon tissues are still made, I
wonder? Anyway, if we are talking about the same stuff, I can give you
an answer.

This stuff is made for photogravure and rotogravure. It has an
orangish-red color which makes it easier to view the progression of an
etch with daylight conditions. The color is not all that pretty, in
fact - I find it quite ugly. I've done carbon transfers with this
tissue when trying to calculate exposures under my UV bank for
photogravure. I transferred it onto fixed-out, blank, photographic
paper because it was easiest and sharpest to read the wedges. It worked
perfect - Sandy gave me a couple of pointers and it was fine. One could
certainly do transfers with this stuff, but you have to really like the
color - and I'd bet you wouldn't ;)

Another factor is the contrast of the tissue. Autotype makes G-25 and
G-35 one is higher contrast than the other, though I don't remember
which is which at the moment. The higher contrast one is not suitable
for gravure from what I understand. Of course, you can modify the
contrast of these tissues via percentage of dichromate, but get the
right one to start with if you buy.

And if this isn't the same tissue, I'm interested in hearing more about
it!

-Adam