Re: Gum questions.

FotoDave@aol.com
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 22:22:37 -0500 (EST)

> Finally, I never heard much about what printer to buy for making negatives
> suitable for gum - Judy, what are you using now, and do you like it? The
> Photo Dan and Dave's you two are the experts - any real info on the
> situation?

Thank you, but to all, remember that I have NEVER claim that, so you are
offended by the above, send your hate mail to Adam, not to me. :)

I can give you the principles, but I can't give specific info. like what
printer is giving less banding, higher dot density, etc. since I don't test
printers. Besides, I don't really do that much desktop-printer gum because I
cannot see myself doing a prints as small as 8x10 (except for tests). For
larger format printer, the price goes higher, so I simply use continous-tone
(oh, wrong term, I mean negatives with opaque silver particles suspended in
gelatine).

I have succesfully used my simple LaserJet 5L. It's maximum resolution is 600
dpi. I use it to do duotone gum (but I have used it to do only some simple
tests. Once the tests are done, I knew I could calibrate it, and so I lost
interest). But this 600-dpi printer enough to give you very realistic,
"continuous-tone" look (my goodness, how can we describe it now). If I need
one coat only, I would prefer 1200 dpi but I will wait until the price drops
for that.

Dave