Re: Gum questions - exposure

FotoDave@aol.com
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 22:39:58 -0500 (EST)

> I'm a little unclear here. Wouldn't over-exposing just push the range of
> steps down (numerically speaking) but not effect the tonal range? Does it
> react nonlinearly to the light source? Or am I malinformed?

It reacts linearly. It follows the same principle of 1 step = half stop = 1.4
x exposure.

In the long-range negative method that I described in another post, your
exposure would be something from 4 to 40 minutes. There is a person who uses
this method and has a Web site, but I can't remember the address. I think it
is either Sarah von (?) or a student of hers. The web site doesn't talk about
the long range, but looking at the exposure time and dilution, I know s/he
must be using long-range negative.

So for your test with step tablet, you can calculate exposure as in ordinary
silver material (expose double to shift 2 steps). Everything will work fine
*EXCEPT WHEN YOUR DICHROMATE STRENGTH IS TOO WEAK!* That is the problem that I
talked about in another thread last week. The problem in this situation the
dichromate is not enough so that no matter how much you expose, it won't shift
the scale!

Some people don't use this long scale method and might have never seen this
problem.

Dave