Re: Micro pipettes and K. chlorate %solutions

Adam Kimball (akimball@finebrand.com)
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 19:53:41 -0800

Thanks William for you the note-

Well, first off, that email was merely a hypothesis- and like any hypothesis is
quite possibly totally wrong- I thought I'd through it out there for what it is
worth... if anything.

My point was merely that if you are looking for the ultimate single-coat print, a
good place to tighten things down would be the amount of metal and iron that
actually gets on the paper. When I rod coat, I routinely end up with sensitizer
that I push right off the paper at the end. The paper (mainly Platine) simply
doesn't take as much emulsion as I'd like to put on it. Now, maybe the addition of
some water doesn't affect this - maybe the paper fibers will take on extra water
after it has stopped taking on sensitizer? I have no idea. However, if it isn't
the case, I think my point has some some validity (a drop at least?) - get more
metal and iron onto the paper, and get deeper blacks. So, if you use a highly
saturated ferric oxalate, a saturated metal salt solution - with as little water
present as possible, you might get deeper blacks. I don't brush coat at all, so I
speak only from rod coating experience...

Eric Nielsen - you out there? Any opinion on the matter? I know you've spent some
time thinking about saturation. Rudiak - anything? Weese, Sullivan, where are the
platinum printers - counting drops?

I'd personally love to learn more about this..

-Adam