Re: Gum questions - Details

Hamish Stewart (Hamish.Sophie@wanadoo.fr)
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 23:24:59 +0000

To add to this try Saunders Waterford - both the cold and hot pressed.
The hot pressed is wonderful to resolve fine detail

SNIP

>> I've heard, many
>> times, that gum can do detail like platinum - now I ask, how? Multiple
>> coats are the target.

Gum can do fine detail - the trick is the right negative - not too much
density - someone once said a scale that would print well on a grade 2
paper.. But I could be corrected on this.. As dave has said, gum has a
short scale, but you build the density and contrast with the exposures -
more than the negative. Well this works for me..

>The secret is to do nice separation through multiple printing. One-coat is
>certainly possible but more difficult. The reason is that gum is very short
>scale, so exposure and negative density matching must be *exactly exact* and
>assuming there is no change between your coating of test strip and your final
>print, etc. etc. Otherwise you will lost some details.

I would normally do between 6-8 exposures of my gum prints. Some say this
is excessive - but I like the results - if you like visit my pages at
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/hamish/terre.html to see some examples. Multiple
printing is the key with gum, but you have to be patient. I start
noticing a real build up of tone, texture and contrast after the 4th or
5th coat. Many people don't do this many..

Cheers
Hamish

-

Hamish Stewart