Re: Pyro stain and UV transmission (John Rudiak)

Liam Lawless (lawless@vignette.freeserve.co.uk)
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 02:40:11 +0000

Hi John,

I "doctored" my wedge a long time ago and am reasonably certain it was bleached in a plain ferricyanide-bromide bleach, though it might have been copper sulphate + sod. chloride + sulphuric. It definitely wasn't any chromium bleach.

As I suspected, all sorts of people have been doing interesting stuff with films and developers and keeping quiet about it. How about some comments on how your method transforms negatives?

Liam
    -----Original Message-----
    From: John Rudiak <wizard@laplaza.org>
    To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
    Date: 23 January 1999 00:52
    Subject: Re: Pyro stain and UV transmission

    Hi Liam!
    Did you bleach with a dichromate/halide bleach? If so the extra density is from chromium intensification. I use this on occasion to transform negatives developed for silver into platinum/albumen negatives, using pyro as the redeveloper.

    John

    Liam Lawless wrote:

         HI everyone, I have heard that PMK is excellent for platinum printing, but Hutchings says only with the right film, i.e. one with "low inherent base fog" (because of the stain's relative opacity to UV), and suggests FP4+ as a good choice. In view of this fact, maybe Tri-X isn't the best choice for alt., but read on...