Re: Pyro stain and UV transmission

Liam Lawless (lawless@vignette.freeserve.co.uk)
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 02:39:44 +0000

Hi Carl,

Thanks for your interest in my little experiment and I look forward to more
of your thoughts on it.

Barry Thornton, a well-known UK photographer and writer states that
redeveloping in pyro confers the same advantages as original development,
which may or may not be true, but it certainly looks that way on the basis
of my few step wedge tests. It is in fact a useful way of harmonising
negatives with unmanageable contrast.

I make enlarged negs in the darkroom rather than shooting large format, and
for this I'd prefer to bleach and redevelop under white light rather than
splash about in nasty substances in the dark; and for this I imagine I'd
have to make pretty thin, soft negs. Maybe original camera negs (if that's
what you use) aren't quite the same, but my interpretation of the tests I've
made indicates that I'd be looking at very long exposures with
strongly-stained negs, in which case a non-staining developer would probably
be better. But so far I haven't redeveloped any actual images on the film I
use (APH), and maybe this'll stain only slightly.

I'd never heard of rollo pyro until joining the list a few days ago. It's
not in my B&S price list, so I still don't know what it is. But I have my
own non-staining formula that is excellent on camera films and I'd like to
try that first.

Liam