Re: Tween 20 versus Triton X-100

Cor Breukel (cor@ruly46.medfac.leidenuniv.nl)
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 16:30:06 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Dr. Christian Wolf wrote:

> Does anyone know how to use Triton X-100 for paper coating in the
> pt/pd process? Is it similar to Tween 20?

Triton X100, Tween 20 and NP40 are used (in our lab that is) to disrupt
cell walls ("to open up cells"), I believe they are called surfactants, we
call them "zeepjes" (soaps). Although they have the same function, they
are not interchangeble. Tween20 is used for braking to surface tension,
thus fascilitating easier spreading of emulsions(at least that's what I
understood, and that's why I use it: it helps). Other benefits are also
described to it..

Long winding intro: Answer: I do not know if you can replace Tween for
Triton, but I guess it should not give problems..test..;-)..(you were
afraid of that answer, weren't you...;-)..).

Do I have to worry about
> cross reactions between the other chemicals used in the pt/pd process?
>

> Thank you very much for your help in advance
>

> Christian Wolf
> Vienna / Austria

Cor Breukel

http://ruly70.medfac.leidenuniv.nl/~cor/cor.html