Re: tri-x and bpf 200

Carl Weese (cjweese@wtco.net)
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 08:53:26 -0500

> Well, what's interesting is that Edward Weston did make negatives with
> greater range using a dilluted developer. He used the dilluted version,
> longer and warmer; and almost always did a borax bath for imspection, water
> bath and continued development by inspection for 30, forty even 45 minutes.
> An hour and a half, sometimes. His prints looked like sandscrit in
> immaculate detail, sometimes.
>
> Steve Shapiro, Carmel

Weston was using ABC pyro for negatives, right? It's familiar that
extremely dilute versions of standard developers like D76 will, with
enough time, deliver hightened edge-adjacency effects. And that was one
of Hutching's goals for the PMK formula (which is pretty dilute and slow
itself). Do you think that may be where the hyper-detail of some of
Weston's work may come from?

Lots of people do use PMK as an inspection process. Me, I have enough
trouble just figuring out how to keep my trays at a steady temperature
for fifteen minutes.

---Carl