Re: Glycin

Eduardo Benavidez (benavi@impsat1.com.ar)
Mon, 01 Feb 1999 11:59:29 -0300

Michael F Jacobson wrote:

> I intend to try to manufacture Glycin in the next 12-18 months.
>
> I have an old patent that a customer and great patron of Artcraft
> Chemicals gave me some years back regarding the manufacture of glycin.
> However there is more than 1 way to skin a cat so to speak, therefore if
> anybody out there has a copy of old glycin patents, or any other
> information that may be useful I would be most appreciative.
>
> I can be reached off list, my fax is 518-355-9121 or my phone is
> 518-355-8700 or 800-682-1730.
>
> Considering the current monopoly on this product and its high cost I
> believe it would be beneficial to everyone who uses or is thinking of
> using glycin to have an option of whom they purchase it from, rather than
> a mandate.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Mike Jacobson
>
> Artcraft Chemicals Inc
> POB 583
> Schenectady, NY 12301
>
> PS - If you want additional information regarding Artcraft please call or
> e-mail me.

> or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Michael,

I live in Argentina and the glycin (wich I mostly use to homebrew
excellent film and paper developers, as the FX-1 and FX-2 for films, and
the Ansco 130 for papers)) is ABSOLUTELY unavailable in the whole
country. So, I buy it from the Photographer's Formulary, but not only
the price but the shipment and custom charges raise the costs at a very
high levels...

In addition to that, the glycin (when powder, unmixed) has a very short
life (i.e. 6 months or so).

So if you can produce glycin at a lower price than other manufacturer,
you will make a real goal.

Regards.

Eduardo Benavidez.