Re: step tablet

Carl Weese (cjweese@wtco.net)
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 14:31:28 -0500

Bill,

You understood me just right, what I find is that pyro-developed
negatives need fewer expansions or contractions. With Tri-X and BPF 200
I use a single time for everything except scenes with enormous contrast
range, like looking from a deep woods out into an open vista. Things
that would call for N-3 or some sort of compensating approach if you
were aiming at silver. I'm currently experimenting with HP5+ and I
expect that it will require an expansion development as well because of
its naturally lower contrast, and the expansion will probably require
increasing the strength of the PMK rather than extending development
time.

For the FP4, did you develop in a tray or drum? My tests of that film in
a drum with rollo/pyro were pretty good but I just don't really get
along with FP4 in any incarnation. I also found it scratched like the
dickens in tray processing while I have no scratch trouble with the
other films mentioned. My quick look at pyro/FP4 indicated it will
probably need minus and plus developments more often than TXT. I believe
Kerik uses FP4 in pyro most of the time so perhaps he'll have something
to add here as well.

---Carl