Re: Scanner selection

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 03:48:14 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 23 Jan 1999 Ender100@aol.com wrote:

> Anyway, I have had the Nikon LS-2000 for about 8 months now. I love it. At
> the time it seemed the best film scanner under $2000. It probably still is.

That's certainly a fine recommendation and I thank you. How far under
$2000 is that? Is there some other identifying name or number? I don't
find "LS-2000" in the "literature" I have....

> The only problem I have with the software/Photoshop Plug in is that the
> adjustment curve window is way too small. I think some of the
features, such
> as defect correction, and multi-sampling, have to be used carefully and in
> some cases not at all. They will "correct" fine detail that should not be
> changed.

I gather from someone else's message that the "defect" correction can be
turned off. (But don't you just hate it when computers "think" for you?)
At the stage I am now, I suspect all those adjustments of being more sales
"features" than intrinsic functions, although when/if I get fully
functional myself, I may learn otherwise. At this point, I almost always
find adjustments better made in Photoshop than in the scan when using the
flatbed scanner. Again, that may be my own lack of finesse, but for sure
the Photoshop software is easier to use.

The big picture, I suspect, is wanting the field to stand still, for a few
minutes anyway, so we're not always trying to hit a moving target. At the
same time I am tapping my fingers for more, faster, so I can buy the
LS-2000 for $239 !

Meanwhile & therefore ....much obliged for the recommendation....

Judy