Re: Kodak R-21?

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 16:26:04 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999 FotoDave@aol.com wrote:

> > I called Kodak Technical Services and they have no record of it.
> > They sent me a booklet about film and paper development with some recipes
> > in it, but no R-21. I think we're on our own with this one.
>
> Will the bleach in C-41 process or the bleach in 6-step E-6 process work?

Hey guys, come on. Bryant Lab sells sulfuric acid $6.95 for 500 ml,
$12.95 for a gallon, plus I daresay hazardous shipping charge. What's the
big deal? You put on a pair of goggles, put a standing large beaker of
water on the counter for the unexpected, put on a good pair of gloves, and
pour. The resultant mix is no more lethal than stuff we use 10 times a
day. (And I'd rather start with the liquid than the powder to breathe
into my long-suffering lungs.)

I had workmen spill 15 gallons of muriatic acid in my hallway, a lot worse
than 3 cc or whatever of baby sulfuric. We waded through it and emerged
unscathed.

My theory is the world is full of freak accidents (as that was). When one
is handling strong acids one is PAYING ATTENTION, and, odds, are, actually
safer. (With thanks in advance to the safety police: thank you.)

Bryant Lab (also listed !surprise! in Post-Factory) is in Berkeley, CA.
800/367-3141.

Judy